It was truly a pleasure to be involved in the design and construction process of one of the most sustainable buildings in the region. Campus Square is located in Midtown Harrisburg which has undergone a complete revitalization in the last 5 years. The revitalization has been the vision of GreenWorks Development and their commitment to responsible development has definitely paid off. Campus Square has gone on to win a USGBC Central Pennsylvania Project Of The Year Award, ABC Keystone Chapter Project of The Year Award and most recently an ABC National Pyramid Award. These are all landmark achievements for this project.
Campus Square is a great example of blending high performance technologies, urban revitalization, flexibility and sustainable building products.
Some of the green building aspects of Campus Square include:
- Geothermal (Ground Source) Heating & Cooling – 46 Geothermal Wells Under The Building – Designed & Installed by McClure Company
- 42kw PV Solar Array with battery backup for emergency power – Designed by groSolar and installed by GR Sponaugle
- White TPO Roofing by Carlisle Syntec Roofing installed by Houck Group
- Energy Star Windows provided by Pella installed by Wohlsen Construction
- Over 30% of all the materials used in the building is recycled content
- Over 40% of materials were made within 500 miles
- Over 98% of the construction debris was recycled
The Green Center of Central Pennsylvania is located in Campus Square as well. The Green Center is open to the public and teaches people about the various aspects of sustainability.
Here is a great video which tells the story about the building and the transformation of Midtown Harrisburg:
If you have questions or comments, feel free to post them.